Monday 7 October 2013

Semiotics-Study of Signs

This is going to be a brief overview of semiotics. Semiotics is the study of signs or meaning.

It is something we use throughout our life without really realizing, such as seeing the colour red and thinking danger, love, etc. This can help me when producing my magazine as it will help make my magazines colours and images appropriate to my genre and target audience.

All of this information goes in our heads from a young age and gets drilled in for the rest of our life, such as when it comes to traffic lights, we know that once we see green we can go, green is also referred to as 'OK' or 'Good' but depending on the situation it can be referred to as 'envy' or 'jealousy' hence the saying 'green with envy'.

Another example is when you hear something such as a police siren, you automatically know something has happened or that there has been trouble as that is what you've known for as long as you remember.

One of the main reasons why semiotics can be a benefit to my design is because knowing about these theories when producing my magazine can provide relevance instantly and give the overall view of the magazine I am creating the correct feeling in relation to my target audience.

As it is very important for my magazine to be relevant to my target audience and genre I want to make sure I avoid colors associated with 'bubblegum pop' such as candy floss pink and baby blue as those colours are more aimed at a younger audience. The colours I will be using will be that similar to what is used by Billboard magazine. Which is typically block colours such as Black, White, Red, etc that will make the magazine look professional and more suitable to my target audience.
AS 

No comments:

Post a Comment